Gluten-Free-Friendly Chicago Restaurants
Welcome to Gluten Free Nosh’s Chicago restaurant list!
There are so many great restaurants in Chicago, with an increasing number of gluten-free options. This list focuses on restaurants in the city, as opposed to the suburbs, as I’m most familiar with them. I’ve included restaurants that have gluten-free menus and restaurants that easily handle gluten-free requests. Before you eat at a restaurant, please discuss your dietary needs with a manager to make sure the kitchen can safely accommodate your special diet.
This is a work in progress. If you have suggestions of gluten-free-friendly restaurants to add, please leave a comment below or email me at editor(at)glutenfreenosh.com
This page is no longer being actively updated. The last update was July 2016.
Jump to Near North, River North, Gold Coast, Streeterville
Jump to Lincoln Park and Lakeview
Jump to Wicker Park and Bucktown
Jump to Edgewater, Andersonville and Rogers Park
Jump to Loop
Jump to West Loop, Greektown, Near West Side, Hyde Park
Jump to Suburbs
Near North, River North, Gold Coast, Streeterville
- WaterTower Place, 835 N. Michigan Ave., 2nd floor, Chicago, 877-247-5223 (Near North)
Every detail here is carefully thought out, from the booster seats for dolls to the gluten-free menus for brunch, lunch and dinner.
- 60 E. Ohio St., Chicago, 312-951-1888 (Near North)
6 E. Cedar St., Chicago, 312-640-8888 (Near North)
215 Parkway Drive, Lincolnshire, 847-808-8880
1950 E. Higgins Rd., Schaumburg, 847-517-8881
Big Bowl’s gluten-free menu includes pad Thai, kung pao chicken and other Chinese and Thai entrees.
- 1160 N. Dearborn St., Chicago, 312-642-1160 (Gold Coast)
Urban barbecue in the heart of the Gold Coast, with smoked Kobe brisket and ribs served with artisanal house-made gluten-free sauces.
- 300 W. Hubbard St., Chicago, 312-836-0900 (River North)
This sophisticated spot serves delicious, authentic Tuscan cuisine in a refined serving. While there is not a gluten-free menu, they offer gluten-free pasta and are happy to make GF accommodations.
- 668 N. Wells St., Chicago, 312-943-2220 (River North)
From Japanese noodles and teriyaki to sushi, this Japanese spot offers a gluten-free menu if you call ahead.
- 25 E. Ohio St., Chicago, 312-329-9463 (Near North)
Extensive gluten-free offerings with steaks, chops, sides and more.
- 661 N. La Salle St., Chicago, 312-932-9330 (River North)
Most of the items at this Brazilian steakhouse are gluten-free, including the meats, sides and the Brazilian cheese bread.
- 445 N. Clark St., Chicago, 312-661-1131 (River North)
Knowledgeable staff can accommodate gluten-free requests at Frontera Grill, as well as at the more sophisticated Topolobompo.
- 848 N. State St., Chicago, 312-252-9946 (Gold Coast)
Quick-serve Italian spot with gluten-free pasta.
- 51 W. Hubbard St., Chicago, 312-828-0051 (River North)
River North hot spot has extensive gluten-free menu with tacos, pulled chicken nachos, sushi and salads.
- 60 E. Grand Ave., Chicago, 312-379-5637 (Near North)
Gluten-free menu features steak, seafood and, of course, stone crab.
- 738 N. Wells St., Chicago, 312-587-1050 (River North)
This gourmet vegan restaurant offers many health-conscious gluten-free options.
- 439 N. Wells St., Chicago, 312-828-9800 (River North)
Plus many other city and suburban locations
Offers a crustless deep-dish pizza with a sausage base as a gluten-free option.
- 161 E. Huron St., Chicago, 312-254-8500 (Streeterville)
5 W. Ontario St., Chicago, 312-428-3548 (River North)
Water Tower Place, 835 N. Michigan Ave., mezzanine, 312-867-1549 (Streeterville)
Tiny spot specializes in hamburgers, which can be ordered without the buns. Fries are cooked in dedicated fryer.
- 516 N. Clark St., Chicago, 312-644-7700 (River North)
Suburban locations too.
The chef will come to your table and discuss gluten-free and allergy-free options, including gluten-free pasta.
- 835 N. Michigan Ave. (mezzanine level), Chicago, 312-335-4745 (Near North)
Tucked behind Foodlife in Water Tower Place, Mity Nice has a supper-club feel with burgers and sandwiches on GF buns (plus GF rolls for the table), as well as oven-roasted turkey and broiled Lake Superior whitefish.
- 325 W. Huron St., Chicago, 312-664-2727 (River North)
Most of the entrees, and all of the ceviches, at this modern Latin restaurant are gluten-free.
- 500 N. Clark St., Chicago, 312-321-6242 (River North)
A sophisticated restaurant with California and Mediterranean influences, Naha has a range of gluten-free options, as well as gluten-free crackers and bread.
- 530 N. Wabash Ave., Chicago, 312-828-9977 (Near North)
Five Chicago area locations
P.F. Chang’s is very allergy-aware and serves its gluten-free items on specially marked plates. They use wheat-free soy sauce and cornstarch to make gluten-free Chinese dishes.
- 29 E. Ohio St., Chicago, 312-321-1000 (Near North)
Uno’s Pizza is a Chicago classic and a tourist fave. Gluten-free menu includes a GF thin-crust pizza.
- 626 N. State St., Chicago, 312-698-5000 (River North)
This Italian restaurant and wine bar has a small-plates concept, including a GF menu of salumi, spuntuni, formaggi and more.
- 21 E. Hubbard St., Chicago, 312-527-2722 (Near North)
This stately Chicago classic is a good choice for fresh seafood in a sophisticated setting. Plus, there’s gluten-free soy sauce for the sushi.
- 539 N. State St., Chicago, 312-467-9696 (River North)
From the folks who invented the Weber Charcoal Kettle Grill, the restaurant serves up charcoal-seared burgers on gluten-free buns.
- 159 W. Erie St., Chicago, 312-787-9000 (River North)
Five Chicago-area locations
Wildfire is serious about gluten-free, with gluten-free pizza, steaks and chops baked in a wood-burning oven. They even serve gluten-free chocolate chip cookies and flourless chocolate cake.
Lincoln Park and Lakeview
- 215 W. North Ave., Chicago, 312-266-7999 (Old Town)
Upscale Mexican restaurant. Guacamole is prepared tableside and served with gluten-free jicama “chips,” since the tortilla chips are not gluten-free.
- 2951 N. Broadway Ave., Chicago, 773-880-7372 (Lakeview)
At this ice cream parlor, the servers happily accommodate requests to scoop ice cream from unopened containers, to avoid cross-contamination.
- 1729 N. Halsted St., Chicago, 312-337-6070 (Lincoln Park)
A sophisticated restaurant with contemporary cuisine. The chef easily accommodates gluten-free and allergy-free requests.
- 2024 N. Halsted St., Chicago, 773-935-5000 (Lincoln Park)
Spanish tapas restaurant good for groups, with gluten-free cold tapas, hot tapas, brochetas, paella and desserts.
- 3338 N. Clark St., Chicago, 773-857-3039 (Lakeview)
Gluten-free South American cassava (tapioca) rolls and empanadas. The cafe offers free delivery — the rolls and empanadas are delivered frozen so they can be freshly baked at home or before an event.
- 3411 N. Halsted St., Chicago, 773-935-6696 (Lakeview)
Meat free since ’83, this longtime vegetarian spot serves up a gluten-free menu.
- 2368 N. Clark St., Chicago, 773-883-8930 (Lincoln Park)
2140 N. Clybourn, Chicago, 773-327-5953 (Lincoln Park)
The hamburgers without buns are gluten-free, as are the handcut fries cooked in a dedicated fryer. If you are allergic to nuts, don’t set foot in the place, as peanuts are everywhere.
- Mia Francesca, 3311 N. Clark St., 773-281-3310 (Lakeview)
- Francesca’s on Taylor, 1400 W. Taylor St., 312-829-2828 (Little Italy)
- Francesca’s on Chestnut, 200 E. Chestnut St., 312-482-8800 (Gold Coast)
- Plus other city and suburban locations
- A gluten-free menu is available at all of the Francesca’s restaurants. Lively Italian restaurants great for groups, with gluten-free quinoa linguine.
- 1901 N. Halsted St., Chicago, 312-255-1590 (Lincoln Park)
This gourmet vegan restaurant serves only raw foods, prepared in innovative ways. Gluten-free options noted on menu.
- 645 W. North Ave., Chicago, 312-654-2550 (Lincoln Park)
2475 N. Milwaukee Ave., Chicago, 773-252-2620 (Logan Square)
Gluten-free pizzas are prepped in a dedicated area and cooked on parchment paper so they don’t touch the oven. Toppings are kept separate to avoid cross-contamination.
- 3411 N. Broadway, Chicago, 773-661-6384 (Lakeview)
Most of the food at this kosher barbecue restaurant is gluten-free. Tasty barbecued chicken, beef ribs and more with GF sides including fries and brisket baked beans. Eat up, it’s good for you — 100% of proceeds go to area charities. GF options noted on main menu.
- 2300 N. Lincoln Park West, Chicago, 773-348-8886 (Lincoln Park)
100 Oakbrook Ctr., Oak Brook, 630-472-1900 (Suburbs)
French bistro with a full gluten-free menu, warm gluten-free baguettes and thin, crispy pommes frites, or fries, cooked in a dedicated fryer upon request.
- 2709 N. Elston Ave., Chicago, 773-687-0290 (Lincoln Park)
The quick-serve Asian format here is a mercy for families with antsy children. Also a mercy: Pei Wei’s gluten-free menu and its ability to accommodate many allergies.
- 1800 N. Lincoln Ave., Chicago, 312-981-7070 (Lincoln Park)
Perennial Virant showcases local flavors and ingredients in a farm-to-table concept. Owners are very accommodating and allergy aware.
- 705 W. Belden St., Chicago, 773-404-2253 (Lincoln Park)
Swirlz always has a selection of gluten-free and vegan cupcakes. They are extremely careful when baking gluten-free to avoid any cross-contamination.
- 1732 N. Halsted St., Chicago, 312-266-1199 (Lincoln Park)
Italian restaurant, close to Steppenwolf, serves gluten-free pasta with rice ziti and your choice of sauces.
- 2873 N. Broadway, Chicago, 773-770-3527 (Lakeview)
An all gluten-free cafe, serving gluten-free breads, bagels, pastries and coffee on weekdays, plus a small gluten-free brunch on weekends. Wheat’s End Cafe also operates an online store at www.wheatsend.com with gluten-free baked goods.
- 3130 N. Broadway Ave., Chicago, 773-244-0404 (Lakeview)
An Irish pub and restaurant with consistently great food and a substantial gluten-free menu, including burgers with gluten-free buns and gluten-free mac and cheese.
- 3300 N. Lincoln Ave., Chicago, 773-549-2663 (Lakeview)
1001 W. Washington Blvd., Chicago, 312-850-2663 (Near West Side)
With its menu of Southern comfort food, Wishbone always ranks as a top family-friendly spot. How nice that it’s allergy-friendly too.
Wicker Park/Bucktown Logan Square
- 1824 W. Wabansia, Chicago, 773-227-2300 (Bucktown)
This Italian restaurant in Bucktown sports a ’40s supper club feel and features gluten-free quinoa spaghetti.
- 1616 N. Damen Ave., Chicago, 773-772-7100 (Bucktown)
25 E. Delaware Place, Chicago, 312-337-4001 (Near North)
Feast’s gluten-free menu features upscale comfort food for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- 2537 N. Kedzie Blvd., Chicago, 773-489-9554 (Logan Square)
Restaurant offers seasonal organic produce and locally sourced food. They easily adapt items to be gluten-free.
- 1742 W. Division St., Chicago, 773-342-1742 (Wicker Park)
Warm and intimate spot serves global vegetarian fare, with gluten-free options, but not a GF menu.
Edgewater, Andersonville, Ravenswood, Rogers Park
- 5253 N. Clark St., Chicago, 773-784-8616 (Andersonville)
Friendly Mediterranean restaurant now has gluten-free pita and a gluten-free menu. Many vegetarian options, too.
- 1746 W. Wilson Ave., Chicago, 773-334-0300 (Ravenswood)
Find gluten-free cookies, donuts, cakes and more at this entirely gluten-free bakery in Ravenswood. Vegan options too. Hours are limited — Thursday, Friday and Saturday from noon to 5pm.
- 7000 N. Glenwood Ave., Chicago, 773-465-8005 (Rogers Park)
This long-time health-conscious hangout easily adapts many items to be gluten-free.
- 5260 N. Clark St., Chicago, 773-271-5050 (Andersonville)
A sibling of Wilde, Lady Gregory’s offers sandwiches, burgers and even flatbread made on gluten-free bread in a fun pub environment.
- 1512 W. Berwyn Ave., Chicago, 773-334-1300 (Andersonville)
Gluten-free menu has GF pizza, pasta and even garlic bread. Sandwiches can be made using bread from Rose’s Wheat Free bakery.
- 17 W. Adams St., Chicago, 312-427-3170 (Loop)
A classic Chicago spot, this hearty German restaurant offers some gluten-free items, which are noted on its menu.
- 50 W. Randolph St., Chicago, 312-488-2483 (Loop)
Blink and you might miss this tiny doughnut shop, tucked next to Petterino’s. Go early for their daily fresh gluten-free doughnuts, which are made with separate oil.
- 400 N. LaSalle St., 131 S. Dearborn St., 180 W. Washington St., 233 N. Michigan Ave., 312-621-1111 (Loop)
Uber sandwich shop with many organic items, including organic smoked turkey. All sandwiches can be made on gluten-free bread.
- 195 N. Dearborn, Chicago, 312-750-1318 (Loop)
1258 S. Canal St., Chicago, 312-850-0547 (South Loop)
Plus 7 suburban locations
Deli sandwiches made on gluten-free bread.
- 150 N. Dearborn St., Chicago, 312-422-0150 (Loop)
Next to the Goodman Theatre, Petterino’s is a good option if you are going to a show in the downtown theater district. GF menu has steaks, salads and other offerings.
- 310 W. Adams St., Chicago, 312-236-3500 (Loop)
10 S. Riverside Plaza, Chicago, 312-775-7000 (Loop)
Plus 4 other area locations
Quick-serve Mediterranean spot offers gluten-free chicken and steak kabobs on gluten-free pita.
West Loop, Greektown, Near West Side, Hyde Park
- 615 W. Randolph St., Chicago, 312-377-2002 (West Loop)
While there is not a separate gluten-free menu, many of the items from seafood to steaks can be made gluten-free.
- 314 S. Halsted St., Chicago, 312-726-2407 (Greektown)
Greektown is great for large groups. The menu of traditional Greek favorites indicates gluten-free and vegetarian items.
- 1312 E. 53rd St., Chicago, 773-324-3700 (Hyde Park)
This Hyde Park café has a gluten-free menu featuring sandwiches on gluten-free bread, gluten-free pizza and sushi.
- Arlington Heights, Burr Ridge, Naperville, Oak Lawn, Orland Park, South Barrington, Springfield, Wheeling
Twirl your fork in new gluten-free pasta dishes here, along with an extensive selection of gluten-free beef, chicken, seafood and salads. Dishes are prepared in a segmented section of the kitchen that isolates its utensils and is designated only for gluten-free items.
- 8343 W. Grand Ave., River Grove, 708-453-1000 (Suburbs)
Da Luciano’s is the granddaddy of gluten-free in Chicago, with the most extensive GF menu in town. Four out of seven of the owner’s children have celiac disease.
- 25 S. Roselle Road, Schaumburg, 847-520-0068 (Suburbs)
Deerfields has a designated gluten-free area in its Schaumburg bakery, where they make GF cookies, cheesecake, brownies and baguettes. You can find the products in Whole Foods, too.
- 19810 S. Harlem Ave., Frankfort, 815-469-4900 (Suburbs)
A 100% gluten free dine-in and carry-out cafe in the southwest suburbs. Many peanut-free items. Awesome brownies.